Monday, 15 January 2007

What a killer.....

Man, I think I could have died. Yesterday I had every intention of running 16 km being a Sunday and my long slow day. I was keen as to get out there cause I haven't done a long run since the half. I headed out just on 3 thinking that it had cooled down some, was I mistaken or what.

My coach says that the heartrate has to stay under 150 bpm on these runs, yeah right, as if.... Within 2 k's I was feeling the heat. Just as an aside, I checked my 1 km time and it was 6.22 so I wasn't going mad or anything. I had heard that the day was to be around 25 C so left the run til it appeared cooler. By the time time I got to 5km I had already stopped and walked and my heartrate was through the roof. Of course this could have been because I haven't been sleeping, so tired; or not eating properly but I had made sure I ate all good stuff on Saturday with lots of water this morning; or my fitness has dropped because of the 3 weeks I have done very little over xmas.

Anyway, I made a very wise decision and just do 10 k's. Hell, I don't know that I could have gone much further. Getting home and downing a bottle of Replace in literally one swig, quickly followed by another half bottle of water.

I checked my heartrate monitor to see what the temp was.....well guess what, it wasn't a mere 25 but 'only' had an ave of 35 with a max of 38........my godddddddd....no wonder I was dieing. I felt compeltely drained and bloody knackered for the rest of the afternoon and a tad deflated because of my great intentions being smashed....

Thinking on the bright side of it all, at least I did 10 km even if it was in a dismal time 1:17 with several walking stints added. I did, or tried to do what my coach said, and remain under 150 bpm. The ave was 154. And above all, I experienced running in heat.........not good fun!!!!! Oh and the main thing I learnt was that I have to get up early in the day and run before the heat gets a grip, but that in itself is a mission I have to work on. I am so not a morning person.

Anyway, total k's run last week were 28.5, I guess not to bad for the first week back into it, but I am worried that that is just miniscule to what I actually need to be doing. Time will tell and I have to learn patience I guess.

2 comments:

Celeste said...

I can fully sympathise with the heat. Some days you just can't escape it. I hate when it is so hot your sweat evaporates and leaves you crusty!! If I sleep through dawn, I tend to leave the run for the day. It's just too hot.

Vicky said...

Hope your running has been more consistant than your blogging Robyn!! Ha ha!!

Keen to hear how you are getting on. I was in Rotorua last week and ran thru the forest, which was awesome. There is a HM thru there on 11 March which many people use as a warm up for Rotorua Marathon. Maybe you should check it out?!?!

Take care, MAR.